Monday, June 08, 2015

Playing "Allotment"

So, mom and I have been watching "Sean's Allotment Garden" on YouTube - thehortchannel.com and have been completely charmed by the unpretentious, unscripted, unprogrammed  , unproduced - that's the word I'm looking for -- nature of the series and are now pretending we have our own out at The Farm.  Mom has this great big bed with fantastic soil constructed in the foundation of an old chicken house, but it was overrun with weeds, with raspberries running amok on the north side, and more weed beds on the south.  To take control of it is a big job, so my mother, ever the clever one, calls me up and says, "do you need a little more space?"  Of course I do.  I'm a sprawler.  I mean, where oh where are my squash going to go? And, there is simply not enough bell pepper space at the cottage.

Before. 

Mom got busy first and cleared the top level of weeds.


Then I used my pond-digging skills to create a path and a raised bed that we secured with some wood stolen from my dad's collection.  Before dark, we were able to put in a row of bell peppers and cucumbers that we will trellis on the fence.  Next up, put some chips down on the paths and create the other beds.  However, Mom has been quite busy.  She's cleared out the unproductive raspberry brambles and the south beds, which are now fully of tomatoes and asparagus growing fantastically. 


The thing we need next is a nearby garden shed where we can have our tea. That's what Sean and his allotment friends do, unless they're having a cold beer (see one of the Geoff episodes). 

Allotment gardens are widespread and here in the U.S. are similar to the community garden movement along with the "victory gardens" from WWII.  I don't know much about the historical roots of either movement right now, but here are a few links of interest:

If you know more or have a link to share, please do so in the comments. 

June 9 update

Mom has really dug into our project.  I am feeling the slacker. 
View from the south.  There are raised beds along this side with asparagus (far right), tomatoes, as well as hollyhocks.

Getting in upper-body work for sure. New beds already dug in.  Mom is a hard act to follow.

I was just thinking we needed a place to have our lemonade and admire our work.

Best reuse of tires: squash planters.  The wire will keep the chickens out until the plants establish themselves.

 

No comments: