Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ropin' report

Dad & his roping horses. His team got the day's fastest time.
I've posted race reports before, but thought I'd give you a taste of a ropin' report, courtesy of my dad, who's been tearing it up a bit on his yeller dink (horse on the left).
Yeller did fine.  Did have him go to hogging with me on one run for a couple of jumps...was a bit late on the entry and I must have driven a spur into his flank a bit deeper than ever before ;-) ...but he got where he needed to be and I managed not to fall off and roped both feet....it enlivened the crowd at least.  *L*" 

176 teams and used up winter roping cattle made for a real header contest.  I know that I'm not a super header, but I can rope most of them, and I know there were several in that run yesterday that I am sure I couldn't have caught by the horns.  Mostly the headers took out the teams.  Only 24 made it back to the 4th steer.  Troy and I fouled our first steer with him breaking out and I legging so we had 15 seconds of penalties before we got started.   they paid 5 holes in the average and we didn't get to run our last one because we couldn't beat the last hole...  Lots of good ropers from pretty far away came...must be spring fever.
Anyhow it was a good day!
What's "Team Roping?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Roping

2 comments:

Nancy Brown said...

Nice!! He was so happy for me to take his picture before he left!!

sydney said...

I wondered if that was before or after.