Thursday, September 30, 2010

This explains it all



Just browsing my collection of research articles as I put a paper together and came across this one. Now, if I were going to indulge in further procrastination, I would go find in which paper I cited this article.  --sydney


DUNNING, D., K. JOHNSON, et al. (2003). "Why people fail to recognize their own incompetence." Current Directions in Psychological Science Current Directions in Psychological Science 12(3): 83-87.


            Accession Number: 2003-06087-004. First Author & Affiliation: Dunning, David; Cornell U, Dept of Psychology, Ithaca, NY, US. Release Date: 20030623. Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal (270). Media Covered: Electronic. Media Available: Print; Electronic. Language: English. Major Descriptor(s): Competence; Insight; Self Concept; Self Confidence; Self Perception. Minor Descriptor(s): Knowledge Level; Metacognition. Classification: Personality Traits & Processes (3120). Population: Human (10). Content Type: Empirical Study (0800)Qualitative Study (0880). References Available: Y. Successful negotiation of everyday life would seem to require people to possess insight about deficiencies in their intellectual and social skills. However, people tend to be blissfully unaware of their incompetence. This lack of awareness arises because poor performers are doubly cursed: Their lack of skill deprives them not only of the ability to produce correct responses, but also of the expertise necessary to surmise that they are not producing them. People base their perceptions of performance, in part, on their preconceived notions about their skills. Because these notions often do not correlate with objective performance, they can lead people to make judgments about their performance that have little to do with actual accomplishment. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2004 APA, all rights reserved) (journal abstract)

5 comments:

Marc said...

Yuck, I read this 2x and still don't understand. Maybe it's my lack of skill to understand. Wait, then I would be calling myself incompetent publicly. Why would I do that? I'm about self preservation. I'll just keep my thoughts of how incompetent I am to myself and work on that. Wait, I can't recognize I'm incompetent. I'm screwed.

sydney said...

:D

MG said...

Are you tryin' to tell me something? LOL!

Have a great weekend Syd. Hope to see you up at Swanson on Sunday. I can't make it up on Saturday due to a wedding, but I do get to race Sunday. Yipee!! I'm lookin' forward to it.

Cheers,
MG

sydney said...

I can't do Saturday, either, so I guess Sunday will be the big day for a lot of us!

Aaron said...

Are you familiar with Leadership & Self-Deception by the Arbingner Institute? Clever book. Speaks to this issue.