Thursday, July 15, 2010

On broken clavicle



The way everyone talked about broken collar bones I thought they might be kind of like a bad cold or some nasty road rash. Annoying, but not that big of a deal. The reality, however, is they are EXTREMELY inconvenient and sporadically eyepoppingly painful. Empathy and sympathy meters have been recalibrated.

More later. Marc's on his way to help me get my bike set up in the basement.

I'm not ready to give up on a solid performance at masters worlds. That might be the voice of inexperience with these types of injuries.  I'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the SD guy (Green CPC Jersey) that tried to make the jump up the final "hill" Sunday in Elkhorn that you came around like I was standing still - well done btw.

I broke my collar bone two summers ago and literally feel your pain. Best of luck on an injury that takes time. I had my arm in a sling and told not to move too much for a few weeks.

One tip I got from another member of "the club" was to use and inflatable ball on the top tube to hold your chest up when you feel you HAVE to get on a stationary trainer again.

Best of luck.
steve

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I thought this was Eric O'Brien's blog, so the reference in the first paragraph is not correct.

The sympathy and good wishes are still given.

sydney said...

an inflatable ball -- that's a great idea. Thank you!

Malcolm said...

You are my hero.

It hurt to go by lap after lap seeing you still on the ground, I was worried. Wishing you a speedy recover, you are truly bad ass.

Anonymous said...

SID! I came on after a long hiatus of not reading the blogs and was just browsing thru and OMG! Dang girl! I can't believe it! I hope it doesn't hurt.
I'll be sending a prayer to you for a fast heal and a push on the saddle to get you back out there ASAP. GET BETTER! HEAL!

june (sheese forgot my password. LOL)

SpeedyChix said...

That's one ouch looking set of gear. Here's to a speedy mend on the body.

-Anne