Monday, July 06, 2009

What a week....Masters Nationals & Tour of Lawrence

Masters Nationals was a success. Mom got 3rd in her TT and I won mine. Was second in the crit by the width of a tire. Went directly to the inaugural Tour of

Lawrence and raced with a small group of 8, but the 8 were strong riders, so felt good about Sunday's win. Was less thrilled about finishing first loser in Saturday's crit, but hey, that's racing. If you swing the line wide and open the inside, some speedy smarty is likely to take it and beat you to the line on a downhill finish. That's just the way it is.

The women of Mercy finally got their new kits. They're pretty darn cool and looked awesome on Jen who sprinted to a win in Friday night's street sprints. Here's a pic of Sunday's hill climb taken by Craig Sparks.

9 comments:

Chris said...

You must be in top form right now Syd. I like the kit.

Marc said...

or maybe the others aren't in "top form". There's a lot more to bike racing than winning.

munsoned said...

Very nice touch to have powder blue nail polish to go with the handle bar tape.

Oh, and awesome job, by the way.

sydney said...

I am feeling good, Chris. I'm also riding a great new bike from Specialized, which has made a big difference.

Munsoned, I'm impressed with your eye for detail.

munsoned said...

Mainly I was looking at the bike and components (How do you like 7900 by the way?) and noticed a weird blue mark on the shift lever. Not actually a mark on the lever, it was your fingernail polish. What can I say, I'm a bike geek.

sydney said...

I like the 7900 fine, though I think it's a bit finicky. Seem like the 7800 was more tolerant of conditions and switching stuff around. Of course, I might just think it's this way because I've become more sensitive to changes in the bike feel and responsiveness.

munsoned said...

Yup. The more time you put in, the more heightened your "feel" for the bike becomes.

I run a weird setup with 10 speed Campy shifters but with 9 speed Shimano drivetrain. I love the Campy shifters because they are kinda like friction shifters - if you shift too far, you can slightly nudge the lever the other way to get the chain in the right spot. With 10 speed Shimano, either you're in, or you're out. Which is great when all is running smoothly, but if you get a wheel change or whatever - look out!!

Spence said...

Just heard about Nationals. That is awesome! Congrats, Sydney way to go!

sydney said...

oh, thank you, spence. It's seems so rare that a goal set months in advance comes to pass as planned, and this year I've had two work out so far.

Huge thanks to Marc for the training plan, disc & helmet, Joyride Bicyles for the superfast Specialized Transition.