Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thanks, Kevin B.

Big thanks to Kevin for stopping and helping me with my flat and the subsequent chase tonight. First weds flat. Was bummed to lose the group since I had been looking forward to hanging today. Thought maybe there'd be a pause, but I guess flat stops are the the neutral rollout only. And Jay, thx for the quick brake fix.

This brings me to another point.... I have to say I don't much care for a slogan I saw down in Hermann, though I'm sure its all in fun.  I think it was "women are the new men." No wait... it was "men are the new women."

Just kind of put me off because women were wearing the slogan and it just kind of seemed to put both sexes down. I'd like to think being a woman was a good thing and feel appreciated for all it makes me. I mean, I like to think I'm a fairly capable damsel and I must say I've been grateful for a rescue or few.

Using what I am as an insult to somebody else, even as a tease, well, I kind of think it helps perpetuate the stereotypes and marginalization that hurts us all. That being said, I'm sure I've been guilty of doing the same some time or another. So, if you sport the slogan, take no offense and have fun with it. I'm probably just discovering a new hangup.

Did I ever tell you about the pants with pockets issue....? Nothing like being a parent to expose your prejudices and neuroses (sp?).

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I totally agree!!!! Well said.

bluecolnago said...

congrats on your performance at hermann!

sorel top said...

Despite having to work twice as hard as men at everything (except wearing heals), I still have never wanted to be one. As I told a partner recently, "I may play with the boys all the time, but I still like being a girl."

Also, since you and I routinely beat the guys in competitions when we were growing up, it probably seems counter-intuitive to want to be a man!

Coach said...

No sense riding in alone, nor fumbling with a flat. I've changed a few and when I'm in a hurry, I'd rather just do it for someone regardless if the person's a male or female.

Not sure what was up with that ride anyway,(I mean really...putting it in the gutter on a training ride? What's up with that? That's stuff you do in races not training rides.

We got a good groove going on the way in. Thanks.