Friday, September 05, 2008

It's getting on my nerves

I realize there are important things out there to talk about, but I've got to get this out in the open.

It's the "Congratulations!" trend. I swear, if one more site or software package CONGRATULATES me as part of a registration, purchase or successful install, I'm going to get twitchy. 

The first time I encountered it, I figured it was just non-native english speakerism soon to be cured by a vigilant marketing department. Alas, this was not to be and the "congratulations" proliferate.

"Congratulations!"  You've registered/purchased/etc.... the screen reads.

"Uh, thanks, I guess. It really wasn't that hard. Do people have trouble with this?" What the heck?!

I suppose I should do like young Kyle recommends on occasion, despite the risk to his well-being, and "Take a chill pill."  Site designers and marketers may may simply intend help us feel special the way we do when someone congratulates us on our birthday, a new baby or a new home.  But, it's just not working for me.  Instead, I've started making a list of offending sites and whatnot so I'll remember to avoid them whenever possible.

4 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

Would you be happier it proclaimed "Sucker!" instead?

Reading too much into the current use of the english language will drive you insane.

Congratulation.

DG

sydney said...

I'm sure you're right. I feel better already.

Adrian_O said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You just posted a comment!

sorel top said...

And I thought only us lawyers over-analyzed everything. Welcome to my world!