Sunday, June 15, 2008

That hill just killed me - GC 37th, Amateur/Cat 2 - 6th

Dang. Fell 16 places all at once - puts your gut in your throat like a plummeting elevator.

That hill was a killer and letting a split open between myself and the group I was in - devastating. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything I could have done differently to have prevented it. I suppose I could have rocked my body weight back and forth a little faster. I might have got a little stiff. It's so hard to remember technique when pain permeates your being.

Today will see more climbing. We have 12 laps up another vicious climb with a screaming descent. Ugh. I guess I'll look at it this way --- 12 opportunities to practice my climb and 11 to steel my nerves, then it's over. I can go home.

To be part of the remaining 85 women - just shy of 50% of the field has been cut or quit - is still an accomplishment and the experience, invaluable.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Sydney...I think that you are doing quite well! Knowing little about bike racing, and nothing about the Apple Valley contest, I would posture that this meet is put together by people who are strong proponents of the good, the bad, and the ugly theme...let's really see who is conditioned, gutsy, and able to persevere.

While you may not be able to say as did Caesar, "Vēnī, vīdī, vīcī," the first goal of such a contest is to finish; and I think you've got that part conquered barring any crashing and burning.

Race courses seem a bit like the draw in rodeo...you don't get to pick them, but when its difficult and a check isn't looking very hopeful, take away as much positive from the run as you can garner...tomorrow's another day, another contest, and you will be the better prepared for it. You have no control over the draw, but you have complete control of choosing how you're going to attack it.

Sic'm girl... *S*

And if you think it's tough there...I'm wanting to mow hay and it is raining again...now that's ugh too! *LOL* Love ya, enjoy the day!

bluecolnago said...

hang tough sydney. :)

JuneBug said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Thank you for your texts and all your updates! Your news makes me feel like I am right there with you all. I was biting my finger nails for you and just ....am waiting. I soo hope you got that cat 2 leader jersey! Still crossing my fingers for you.

Its hard to type like this.