Friday, June 06, 2008

Here comes the rain again...


Norfolk
Great. Strong storms and thundershowers. My plan was to go to Norfolk, camp out and race with the Men's 1/2/3 crew in anticipation of the Nature Valley Grand Prix next week. Last year I did the same thing and got dropped in the road race and in the crit, but I had a cold. No such excuses this year and now it might rain. Sigh. On the bright side, though, it won't be so hot as last year and perhaps I can avoid a sun burn.

Tulsa
I've been late posting about the Tulsa races and the longer I think about them, the more succinct I can be about what I learned. In short, there comes a time when fitness ceases to be an issue, for everyone has form. Instead, the race is about putting the right person in the right place at the right time, which means keeping track of all your teammates and the rivals who may impact your team objectives. Sounds straightforward enough, but is quite difficult in practice, let alone in a race series where multiple competitions are underway at any given time within the main race. Consequently, positioning and rider awareness are my focus areas for the foreseeable future.

Shelter
My dad, a real estate agent for Woods Bros. Realty, helped me buy an immaculately kept little house and I'll be moving in July. It's near a large park and less than 10 minutes from downtown by bike. It's also half a block from the necessary bus route for my sons. Best of all, it has a lovely long back yard with mature trees and raised vegetable beds. Really couldn't be a better fit for my needs. I mean, ideally it would have had higher ceilings and eastern exposure to the kitchen, but direct kitchen to patio access and a east facing porch will have to do. I can already see a little iron cafe table, shielded somewhat by a rose covered trellis where I can enjoy a morning espresso. :)

Food
With the warming weather, I find my cravings run to Thai and Indian, so the apartment has been rather aromatic of late, filled with the scents of basil, pungent sauces and spices. Did a little shopping yesterday and although Thai Jasmine rice is now $18 for 20lbs, that's still a great deal for us, as it's a staple in our larder.

That's all I got for now. Over and out.

7 comments:

oldmanandhisbike said...

We must be in the same pattern as there. It looks bad for this weekend and even have a tornado watch in effect right now. Not sure if I will get in riding let alone the XC race I planned to do this Sunday.
Congrats on your new digs; sound like a nice place, especially the 10 minutes from downtown part! I might be willing to give up my wooded place on the river for a more urban location if just to have better access and commuting capabilities. But you just can't sell the place in this market.
Love Thai and Indian food! :^)
Have a great weekend and hopefully, get some racing in.

the mostly reverend said...

you have figured out bike racing, grasshopper.

Chris said...

Congratulations on the house!

My coach just asked me how things were going. I told him that he was doing his job well. The fitness is there. Now I just have to put it to proper use. That is the hard part as you say.

Neve_r_est said...

Yay, room for more bikes! Boo, someone has to mow the grass.

DG

oldmanandhisbike said...

Syd:
Just wanted to let you know that there are some great race photos of you from Tulsa Tough at otbphoto's on Flickr. The website is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/otbphoto/
My favorite is you looking for teammates by the CRUDE bus! Check them out.

sydney_b said...

Oh hey, thanks! I presume this is the one of which you speak:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/otbphoto/2549762343/

Jeeze, I don't even remember seeing that bus. How is that possible? It's huge and yellow.

oldmanandhisbike said...

That be the one. There were some great shots but I just thought that one was cool.
I'm sure you had other things to watch out for besides the bus! :^)