Monday, March 03, 2008

No, I'm not dead


Long time to type here. BUT.... here's the scoop since last time...

Regarding the madone.... it's built up and riding nice. I'm getting closer to getting it dialed in. Although initially smitten with the paint job, I fell out of love because of all it's specialness.... requires special treatment (torque wrench) to change the seat height, weird shaped tubes don't fit my bike rack, etc., but after a couple of rides outside, I think we're going to have a solid relationship this summer. insert big @$$ grin here. :D

HOWEVER
, after cruising around the blogosphere for the first time in days, I seem to have been the only one who DIDN'T ride this last weekend. Hurumph. So jealous, but I have a sore knee and rather than aggravate it and risk having to take more time off later in the season, it was deemed best to take time off now. Consequently, I've been sitting on my derriere in front of my comp working and occasionally playing video games. Well, one game in particular. Don't laugh... "Twilight Princess" -- from the Zelda series. I know, I know, I should harden up and play Halo or somesuch, but that just ends up triggering all my competitive bloodlust on a sofa -- not a pretty sight and certainly not relaxing for anyone.

Twilight Princess, on the other hand, is like an interactive fairy tale where you do get a lot of swordplay, but at least you're by yourself and people you supposedly love and who supposedly love you aren't trying to blow your head off. I don't know why, but that chaps me off so much usually end up breaking out "The Enforcer," an Amish wooden spoon my mom gifted me to help raise up tolerable boys. They might be bigger and able to annihilate me with their big bad virtual armaments, but reality comes home hard in the meatspace when I upgrade the backhand to amish-extendothority. Ha!

Should also be noted I was asked twice this morning if I was getting back to my training program. Does this mean they don't appreciate my extra energy and attention? Hmmm.

7 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

Tron: http://www.tron-sector.com/games/ At least it's bike like. Practice your defensive riding.

DG

mM said...

An Amish dominatrix....

That's a new one.

Chris said...

Syd - I have yet to go to a carbon set up, but know that is the first thing I would have to buy is a torque wrench. My usual method for my aluminum parts of "good and tight" probably shouldn't be applied to carbon.

Matt N said...

If you overtighten it and ride it will break. Seen it before and will see it again. There is a Ritchey Torque key at HG that is preset to 5nm, which is what the madone seat cap is supposed to be tightened too. They retail for around $25.

bluecolnago said...

do all moms have one of those big wooden spoons? mine did. that's why i turned out to be such a sweet, lovable, and innocent guy.

One Eyed z said...

The Ritchey Torque wrench is rumored to be unrealiable. Different from wrench to wrench. I don't know if I would get one.
Don't feel too bad about not riding over the weekend. It was 70 and sunny here and I was dying to ride. But with a gale force winds that almost took me off my bike a few times on the little hood ride I did I gave up and sat in a bar.

oldmanandhisbike said...

Go to know your still with us.
Those kids are getting off easy! My grandfather had a belt that was used by a barber to sharpen this straight-razor. He called it the "tippy-toe strap". Bet you can guess why! :^)