Monday, March 31, 2008

Hillsboro-Roubaix

Hillsboro-Roubaix... Hmm. Started fine, was looking to be a fun race, but then turned into a big ouch. Ended up 6th and my teamie, Bri Kovak, won it.

There were two 22 mile laps. The first lap went well and I was feeling good, staying towards the front, did an attack or two and covered a few. No problemo. Then a break went while I was recovering and I didn't get on it and only one teamie, Bri, was in it with a total of 6 other women. My instincts told me that was too many, but my brain and body didn't follow and I held with the pack, unsure of whether to bridge and risk pulling someone along, or stay put. By the end of the first lap, team captain came to the front and pointed out there were not enough of us in that break. I asked if I should bridge, she said it was too late and I thought she was right, but thought also I'd give it my best shot anyway. Worst case scenario.. I get a good time trial workout. So, I attacked up a hill and no one came along for the ride, then spent the next 45 minutes chasing, finally catching the break with 4 or 5 miles to go to the finish. Of course, my legs were fried, but I was pleased to have made it and that they'd taken it easy enough to let it happen. Unfortunately, my little book of matches was merely smoldering and on the final climb I let a gap open between me and the front four and on the final stretch a gal came by me and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. I'd given everything I had and it was about 400 yards too little. Oh well. Lessons about breaks and bridging were learned and those mistakes won't happen twice.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Syd - to chase 45 minutes and catch on is a goal in itself.

bluecolnago said...

i agree with chris (for once). sounds like you had a good ride. i was getting tired just reading about it! thigh burn and all....

sydney_b said...

It was Chris. That became the race goal for me... well, actually I decided to just settle in and see how much L4 I could maintain and where it would take me if I did hang tough.

blue, it hurt. But, it was good to go there. Built my confidence, showed me my current boundaries could be expanded a little.