Monday, September 24, 2007

1st Annual Farm Cross Clinic

Well, the course is a good one and once the corn is down, we're going to smooth out the roughest spots a bit, put a little more room into the tighest corners, and then it'll be fast fast fast.

We had about 10 folks out yesterday with three of those being beginners. While the others rode the course and wore it down a bit, we worked on our dismounts, barriers and remounts. Later, there was focus on going over smaller obstacles like a curb-sized log without dismounting. Next time we meet we'll cement those skills further and add additional ones. We had a few crashes with one persistent rider who shall be named - Kelly - insisting on a grand total of 5 or 6 endos. Sheesh. She says she's not scared of falling now tho. My mom did a great job with her dismounts and only had one accident when her fender stay thing caught and tripped up the program. Needless to say, the fenders and the rack came off her ride mighty quick. In fact, she's signed up for nationals and hitting the training. Methinks she might have a championship before me. :)

A huge thanks to everyone who made time to come out and give the course a go and sharing their suggestions for improvement. I think having a course or two to actually train on is going to make a big difference in my performance this season. Mom and Dad said we could use it any time, so watch your email and this blog for practice opportunities. Who knows... once the PCL gets wind....

Oh, and there's no pictures because everyone was having too much fun riding their bikes, so you're gonna have to come see it for yourself.

10 comments:

gravy said...

My favourite spot was dodging the chickens and then spooking the horsies while coasting through the barn.

Least favourite was the rutted ravine in the corn field loop around.

It is a fun Family Circus looking route though. Crazy kids, leaving dotted lines every where they go...

VeloCC said...

I had a blast!! I am hooked on cross...darn it.

Those dismounts will come handy even for my next MTB ride, when coming up on a Redwood log crossing.

I am with you Gravy on the chickens and the horses, even though it took me two laps to realize, that those chickens where free roaming and the horses made me stop in my tracks (I love horses)Therefor I didn't have enough momentum to ride out of the barn, but I did it the second time.

A BIIIIIG Thank You to Sydney for doing this and to CARL AND NANCY for having all of us crazy two-wheeled-junkies.
You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!

Chris said...

Syd - having your own course to practice on is going to make you fast as hell. Good luck to your mom at Nationals.

JuneBug said...

Go Sydney's Mom!!!!

That is so cool! I like the "kelly' girl she sounds super tough. That sounds really fun. I am looking forward to the pictures.

Martin said...

Thanks again it was fun.

Needs a water obstacle now to round out the technical variety to cover all your bases...and for something softer for Kelly to crash into.

sda said...

was there enough cowbell? you need lots of cowbell.

oldmanandhisbike said...

You can't ride and take pictures at the same time? Talk to Danielle; she is a pro at that!
Sounds like a lot of fun. That is something I have always wanted to do (build a "private" course).

Matt N said...

Now that I have a cross bike, I'll just have to come out eventually.

len said...

your mom was riding cross! your family sounds bad ass.

where's the mention of the beer? Nebraska fall and cornfields, ya'll might have to break out the rum and hot cida'

sydney_b said...

@oldman, have you seen Danielle's knee pix? It's hard to ride and run a camera. :D

@Len, we did have some beer, but not much. It's a course that'll wear you right out.