Thursday, August 30, 2007

Do the same things apply in women's cycling?


Many of the fastest women's cyclists in the U.S. are in their late 30s and early 40s. Perhaps it's due to some of the same factors attributed to the success of older women runners?


See Jane Run. See Her Run Faster and Faster. - New York Times


Men, as might be expected, get slower as they age. At a recent five-kilometer race in Pine Beach, N.J., which drew nearly 1,000 runners, the fastest man was 24 years old and the men’s ...

3 comments:

Dad said...

Ah...yellow journalism...designed to deceive, to antagonize, to rile the male ego ...*LOL*

And the rest of the story is...? You knew I'd have to read the article, right? *L*

I totally buy into what they have to say. When your Mom and I were in HS, there were no female sports aside from PE. A couple of times she ran with me at track (I was a consistent 50.5 - 51 second 440 and she would run in the 56-57 second range, better than our #1 sub for our mile relay team. Had she a coach, a program, she would have been a scholar athlete in college. Any combination of stigma, lack of focus and commitment, little or no access to coaching and perhaps the unwillingness to endure the regimens of training all contribute to the strange times recorded in women's running.

So, kiddo...you had better keep an eye over your shoulder lest your Mom pop by you and post one of those times on the leader board. ;-)

oldmanandhisbike said...

From personal experience, their right. I used to be fast . . . (sigh).
Truthfully, I am actually posting faster times now in races than I did when I started. Of course, I think most of that can be atributed to more time to train, better equipment and mentally, riding smarter. So, in cycling at least, I think there is more to it than simple old-age wear and tear.
Of course, I could be wrong!

Chris said...

So it is all downhill for me from here :)