Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Congrats to Fred for representin' big time!

Lincoln Plating/Lemond Team Blog: Galata Gittin' R Dun: "Fred Galata of Omaha Velo Club had an exceptionally successful week at the National Senior Olympic Games in Louisville, Kentucky, last week, winning all four cycling events in the 55-59 age group. Fred's versatility was evident in his two road wins, the first coming from a solo attack off from a pack of 6 riders, which broke off from the 60 member peloton in the 40k circuit race, for a 35 second win. He then won by half a wheel-length in an uphill field sprint in the shorter second circuit race.

Fred's time in the 5k time trial was a new Senior games record. He narrowly avoided a mishap, saying that, 'I ended up taking the turn-around a little too hot. My tubulars started to slide out from under me, and when compensating to stay upright my left foot popped out of my pedal. I lost valuable time and momentum., but finished with a 7:11 and a 26.5 MPH average. I was surprised to find out that I had won, and by just 2 seconds over 2nd."

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Not sure if Fred is a blogger or not, but Fred you are such an insperation to us young guys who just got into the racing scene. I can only hope I have the fitness and will to kick ass when I'm in the 50+ yr catagories. Keep on rock'n it man you are a STUD!!!!!

John Jr. said...

If I can still ride when I'm 55, I will be estatic. I was not real good to myself in my 20's...now ;-)