Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My SUPERWEEK partner - June Upshaw




Well, I'm all signed up. Gonna race the Pro/1/2 races at Superweek July 14-22. This is on the NRC calendar, so I'm sure that means lotsa 'toughs' will show up, so I'm looking at it like an intense training camp where learning one day can be put to immediate use the next. The very best news, however, is that I'll have a partner in crime. Yep, that's right, June Upshaw, formerly of Kenda, has joined Lincoln Industries/LeMond for the rest of the '07 road season. HURRAH! I am DEEELIGHTED to have such speedy and experienced accomplice.

I met June at the Iowa City Road Race and despite her plain no-team black jersey and shorts, her muscular development, air of confidence, and riding style gave her away. Before we even lined up, I'd decided to keep an eye on her during the race. This turned out to be a good choice because June's aggressive hill attack triggered the winning breakaway and I was on it in a flash. After the race we had a chance to talk and we hit it off pretty good. Her upbeat, and that's an understatement, attitude and aggressive racing style ought to compliment my own and I think I can safely say both of us are excited to combine our strengths and see what we can get done.

(June topping Snake Alley. Photo by Steve Daggs. www.cyclingphotonews.com.)

11 comments:

VeloCC said...

I am so happy for you that you found someone "to fight" with:)

oldmanandhisbike said...

Congratulations on your new team mate. Now you have some one to line you up for the final sprint! :^)
As Phil Liggett says: "This move is going to cause panic in the bunch. . ."
Good luck at Superweek!

sydney_b said...

you're a funny man, brian. It's gonna be tough, but I think we're both going to learn a lot and who knows, a girl a can dream, can't she? :)

Chris said...

In what category does she ride Syd?

Cornbread said...

Congrats on the new edition to the team.

oldmanandhisbike said...

A girl SHOULD dream! Life is a big waste of time without it.

LoupGarou said...

Congrats on the new team mate. Can't wait to hear how you two dominate. Good luck at SuperWeek.

sda said...

lemme know if you two need housing .. thanks to me and my buddies showing up on their doorstep each summer for stupor-week, i've got a ton of family up there (spread out all over the place) who absolutely love bike racers and superweek.

sydney_b said...

sda, might sure take you up on that as I haven't finalized those details just yet. Never having done it, I'm not sure where all the towns are yet. (I know, I need to get on that.)

Chris, I think she was recently catted up to a 1.

all, thank you for your well wishes. I'm kind of nervous, but June and Marc say it's going to be fun fun fun. That can only mean one thing --- ouch, ouch, ouch. :D

racrmom2 said...

Now that your off LI/Lemond, what is my good friend June going to do?

She has grown so much in the sport from what I have read and what she has told me - unfortunately I haven't seen her race as I moved away from Chicago in '04.

Stupid week is scary fast!

Good luck to both of you!

sydney_b said...

It's looking like we'll still get to work together, maybe with the Team Revolution crew for Superweek and Gateway Cup.