Thursday, June 28, 2007

DARPA brought us the Internet, now this...

As a fan of flesh/machine merge tech ***, I think this is pretty cool.
-----------
Can cyborg moths bring down terrorists? - Times Online: "The creation of insects whose flesh grows around computer parts – known from science fiction as ‘cyborgs’ – has been described as one of the most ambitious robotics projects ever conceived by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa), the research and development arm of the US Department of Defense."
------------
*** Yeah, I've always thought if wreck some part of my body and they have to put on spare parts, I wouldn't want them flesh colored, I'd rather expose the plastics or do something in a brushed metallic.

6 comments:

oldmanandhisbike said...

I thought Al Gore brought us the Internet? So confusing . . .
You are really scaring me with this cyborg/moth/computer/flesh replacement stuff.
But I would agree on brushed satin stainless; very cool! :^)

sydney_b said...

That was such an unfortunate statement of Gore's. To his credit however, when he did finally get to congress, he supported the development and extension of the Internet. Here's a link to a good article: A Brief History of the Internet by Walt Howe. Bob Cringely also did a GREAT job on this same topic with a video series called Nerds 2.0.1. It's worth checking out.

Marc said...

Now I know who to thank and to blame

Chris said...

This will be the next big thing in cycling after doping is gone. "I think that chick is a cyborg. No way can she be that strong. Someone needs to test her."

oldmanandhisbike said...

I'm with Marc. Blessing and a curse.
I'll check out the info. I agree, Mr. Gore has taken a lot of heat and little praise for that comment.

sailfish said...

I have a friend sporting a lower leg/foot in clear coated carbon fiber. It looks awesome in shorts.