Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Zen Habits



Habits are key.
I wish I could do this. I wish I could do that.
You hear this all the time, but yet wishers don't do this or that. Instead, wishers continue doing whatever it is they've been doing for x amount time and unsurprisingly stay exactly where they're at.

I am not a wisher. I am a doer. I figure if something is worth wishing for, then it's worth making actionable steps in that direction. Whether it's opting for the healthy item on a menu to take a step towards fitness, going to bed early so I can work on my PhD stuff in the mornings when my brain is at it's best, or simply making my bed in order to make an effort at being tidy (unnatural for me).

Being a doer is not easy, but the best way to go about it is to develop daily habits, the execution of which yield the objectives you desire. I mean, so long as your pointed in the right direction, it doesn't matter how big the steps are or even if you pull yourself along with your lips, so long as you keep moving, you'll eventually arrive at where you want to be, so I thought today I'd share a blog that I've found recently that has helped me get back into the groove of my early morning habit.

The blog is "Zen Habits" and the post I've linked you to is "Big rocks first."

10 comments:

oldmanandhisbike said...

I'm more of a wisher myself. Wishing I was Brad Pitt, wish my Dad was George Bush Sr. and gave me everything (so I could squander it), wish that Global Warming wasn't real, wish that Pink Floyd would get back together and make "Wish you were Here, Too".
My mom used to say: If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I think I understand what she meant by that now.
Maybe it is time for a change. Zen Habits, aye? Hmmmmm. I will have to take a look at that.

Marc said...

It really doesn't matter what order you get things done as long as you get them done. Sure we set priorties but setting one priorty higher than another can lead to failure over and over again. Things will get done in due time if you try

Marc said...

One who makes sandwich in mourning is bound to have it smashed by noon.

My philosophy on how mournings go for me

Marc said...

morning i know but it does sound deeper misspelled

sydney_b said...

Marc, you're already so organized and tidy. For those of us who don't have that down yet, we need a system. :)

BTW, all .. start with wikipedia if you want to know more about GTD.

topic overview

VeloCC said...

It's very true. Wishing can take up soooo much time and like you said it doesn't get you anywhere even though I think "positive thinking" does. And I think Marc is right about these priorities. Who knows what is really important in life? And what is important for one is totally unimportant for the next. But I could definitely DO more to get what I want...
I did ride for almost two hours in the rain today. That is one path towards one of my goals:)

sydney_b said...

Good for u! I was wondering if I was going to ride in the rain, do trainer, or what today. Still haven't been out since I came into the office. Been mighty productive tho. :)

VeloCC said...

Well, I started without rain but with a lot of wind. Had my backpack with me with the rain jacket(which I needed)and just kept going...

Super Bon Bon said...

Oh sweet motivation! - I needed the kick in the butt to use my time better! :)

Dad said...

My Grandfather had a reply for 'wishers' -- wish in one hand and spit in the other. At least one will get full.

Accomplishment is a simple case of mind over matter. The mind can enforce its will on the matter of moving the flesh, and when the flesh gets moving and begins to feel good, it is easy the accomplish what the mind had been contemplating (wishing for).

A old friend of mind called from California yesterday afternoon (Rod Hagge) and in short time the conversation was rope horses and ropers and the amount of money available in rodeo today and the lack of large numbers of contestants with a will to win. He, like myself, works with young ropers who "say" they want to be real competitors, yet they won't, don't do the basics that will create a disciplined performance. For the life of us we can't even begin to understand in theory why you would do anything that cost you money, time, energy, and not do it seriously enough to win. Is it because of all the electrical gadgets being intriguing enough to encourage one to squander his time and talent and never experiencing the actual agony and ectasy of winning and losing?

When we had no indoor barn Rod and I roped in the snow, cold, heat, wet or whatever. Why, so we could WIN....and that has made all the difference for a lifetime of getting up early and attacking the the tasks of the day. *L*