Thursday, April 05, 2007

doh!

Rode the Badger to work today
in hopes of getting it a little more dialed in
before this Saturday's race. During the ride it dawned on me why I felt like I couldn't really get any power during the race and was stuck spinning my legs off .... drum roll please ... my seat was waaaay too low. I raised it at least an inch and half and now I'm feeling like myself. What was I thinking? Why didn't this occur to me in Arkansas?

I guess it must be a case of domain specificity. I mostly ride a road bike and can't stand it being a hair out of the right height, but I just didn't apply the same mindset to the mtb. Sheesh. Lesson learned.

Oh well, I thought this bike was pretty darn cool before, but with the saddle at the right height, it really is a lot better.

9 comments:

VeloCC said...

ROADIE!!!!

len said...

try that new saddle on the dirt. a touch lower than you'd go for on the road will help you manuever around the saddle.

kick some ass this weekend, girl!

sydney_b said...

that's what i did tonight, len. Made sure I could still easily get behind the seat if need be, rode the park, 'cept for the puddles, did the gully thing a few times. it think I have it about right now. we'll see.

It was great getting to meet u, btw.

sydney_b said...

Rollin' out with the expert women at noon. Love to see ya if you're out and about in the chill.

Squirrel said...

Syd, that seat post colar is a little bit big with no paint on the bike. I had the same problem at Landahl....started the race with the right saddle hieght, then at the end it had wiggled down at least a half inch. I took the colar off and dremeled a sliver out of the middle, all good now:) Kick some ass girl.

Peace

sydney_b said...

squirrel, ur a genius. Last nite i thought the cold was getting to my brain. I had raised the seat to my satisfaction before heading out to the trail. 3/4 of the way through, i felt like the seat was a tad too low, but dismissed the thot that it had slid down because I had really tightened it until i worried that i might break something.

Hmm. must get a solution for this before tomorrow.

What do you mean u dremmeled a sliver out of the middle? A vertical sliver out of the collar?

oldmanandhisbike said...

Might try turning the collar/clamp around 180 first before you dremel. I had the same problem with my Slingshot last week and that did the trick.
Good luck with the race. The season starts here in two weeks.

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marc said...

Is someone mocking me. I think I told you to keep your seat a little lower than a road bike seat.