Monday, April 16, 2007

$10 education

Well, yesterday I got to know my tubeless tires. Went to a fun MTB race where for $10 you got to race a couple of laps and ended up biffing a log thing which yielded a hole in the sidewall of my formerly seemingly invincible tubeless tires. Of course, I had neglected to pack air or a spare tube. So I rode it out mostly flat thinking it would seal, but it didn't. By the time I got back to the parking lot and put a tube in it, the other racers were so far ahead there was no chance to catch anyone, so my enthusiasm for the activity dwindled to zero and I took at DNF (Did not finish).

However, I did end up riding the first half of the course twice with Ryan, and the second half of the course once during the race and once before the race with my team mate Kevin, so between that and trying to keep pace with Roxy and catch Donna, who got a fantastic start, I did manage to get some intensity in.

But, I am so ready to ride road and am looking forward to this weekend's Lincoln Plating Spring Cycling Classic -- even the time trial portion. In fact, I think I'm anticipating the TT more than the crit or othe RR because I actually have a sort of TT set up.

8 comments:

Squirrel said...

Damn those flat tires....air is over rated:)

Peace

Neve_r_est said...

Thats mtb racing for ya. Even when you are not the favorite, never let up. You never know when your competition will suffer a mechanical or hug a tree.
Better luck next time, oh and carry you spare you weight weenie ;)

DG

3p0 said...

good to see ya this weekend syd....

too bad about the mechanical...

and good luck this next weekend I'm sure you'll be fine.

sydney_b said...

Squirrel, Nev_r_est, good points. I mean, had I carried the tube as was taught to me in AR, I could have fixed it and kept going and who knows? Sometimes it takes me twice to really commit something to practice, but I think I've got that "carry your stuff, it's a mtb race, there is no wheel truck" thing now. :)

And, I'm sorry I missed you Squirrel. I didn't realize you wouldn't be there yesterday. :( What MTB events are you gonna do in your spot on the plains?

Chris said...

The Lincoln Plating Race sounds cool. Good luck next weekend.

Danielle said...

Good luck next weekend Sydney. I can't wait to read the race report...especially about the TT. I'm still having nightmares about the one that I did :-)

oldmanandhisbike said...

Good luck with the next race.
I have to admit I'm not a believer in tubeless, but that is an Old-man for you!

Squirrel said...

I'll see you at 6hrs of Platte:) I'm only doing longer races this year....cross-country races are out, ok I may do a few just for shits and giggles:)

Peace