Friday, February 09, 2007

Not as bad as I thought it would be



Wednesday, I went the the campus recreation center and had my body fat percentage measured using calipers. The guy took my weight, some measurements and drew ink crosses on three spots: back of my tricep, right above my hip on the side, and about the middle of my thigh. Then, he used the caliper on those three spots twice for consistency. The results were better than I thought they would be. I had it in my head that I would be over 20% because I have a fat measurement thing as part of my bathroom scale and it often gives me 20-25% readings. Also, I learned:

  • that women should avoid going any lower than 12% for health reasons,
  • muscles hold a lot of water, and
  • about 50-65% of your body weight is water.

SO ..... the gist of everything is that I'm pretty muscular and even if I get down to about 12/13% I'm still going to weigh more than I was thinking I should weigh. Therefore, I'm just gonna ride the bike as programmed, eat lean and carefully healthy, and not fuss too much about the scale.

technorati tags:

Blogged with Flock

6 comments:

Marc said...

Did he tell you why you shouldnt drop below 12%? He is correct but should of also explained why. We need fat for hormones, cell walls, energy. Protein is a water magnet. For proteins to form, its a complex issue, we need water. Hydrogen and oxygen the life givers. Our bodies are like walking water fountains.

Cornbread said...

Yep, too low and you won't have menses. Don't be too concerned with body fat percentage. You're in great shape.

BTW, he should have used the 7 point measurement. Much more accurate.

I assume you scale at home is bioelectric impedence. Hydration has an effect on the readings. I wouldn't trust it.

VeloCC said...

Syd, I have to agree, whatever those scales, tests,etc. say, YOU are in great shape (LITTERALY)and shouldn't worry about loosing weight. just keep on riding and building up those muscles....and by the way I heard you have a VERY competent trainer, he should know what is right for you:))

bryan said...

I think I had my body fat measured for an exercise physiology class in college.

But I think I'm going to go with Velocc plan -- ride lots, work hard. I'll end up being in the right shape.

Marc said...

Since we've been doing testing, december, your numbers are great. You've been testing at the lower end of of being a pro upper cat. 1 on lactate threshold. Your racing schedule doesn't include any mountain climbing so you don't need to be as light as possible, but strong, to race around here.

Got to throw one of my fav quotes in here " those who are enamored of practice without science are like a pilot who goes into a ship without a rudder or compass and never has any certainty of where he is going"
Leonardo Da Vinci

Chris said...

Good job Syd! I am afraid to get that done because I don't want to know the answer right now.