Thursday, February 01, 2007

FAT ...


In this week's RBR newsletter, there's a section devoted to figuring out your ideal weight. The section closes with this paragraph: "Tip! What's the best way to tell if you need to lose weight? Your body-fat percentage can be evaluated in a lab, at your doctor's office or even at your health club. But here's a quicker, easier and cheaper technique. Get naked, stand in front of a full-length mirror, and bounce up and down. If something jiggles that shouldn't, you're carrying too much weight. Don't laugh -- this is often as accurate as fancy lab tests. It won't give you a percentage, but your eyes don't lie."

Anyone got a specific target percentage? I'd like to get to the10-15% range, but don't really know where I'm at right now. Have to remember to go over to the rec center and get a caliper test done for $3.

9 comments:

nicol said...

Thanks Sydney, I needed that laugh this morning! Check out Endurosnob's site too...laugh out loud, imho. :D

3p0 said...

I would love to know what my body fat percentage is...

i'm 152
and I'm 6ft...

sydney_b said...

well, lessee, u could put up a shirtless pic and we could all make guesses. ;)

Seriously tho, u could probably get urs done at the rec center too. I don't know: http://crec.unl.edu/sponsorship/events.shtml

might cost u $6 for guest access.

monkeygirl said...

I would like to be between 15 and 18. I think that is a maintainable goal for me.

bryan said...

I'm in single digits, but I just don't know which one.

I'm 6-2, 162ish. Sometimes 161 or 163.

I guess I'd like to have whatever percentage keeps me at the head of the pack on the way up the hill.

Cornbread said...

"You ain't fat, you ain't nuthin'!"

I love that line.

VeloCC said...

How about my "girlfriends"???

Marc said...

It's not really about fat %. It's about power to weight ratio. If you can go up a hill, TT, lift 100lbs., ect. and can do it easier then someone who weighs less then your stronger. With the testing we're doing and the training increases in any of those wattage numbers will tell the truth about how you are getting fitter. If you feel strong or are getting stronger now you can only get better with consistent training. Most times the weight will come off with more riding.

Power is the name of the game. Along with tactical knowledge.

dale said...

My scale says about 8%. But that number changes based on activity and hydration done prior to measurement.

Not exact but a relative measurement; if weight goes up and body fat stays same or lower, I view it as good weight gain.

I'm 6' 3" and 185 now. Last two seasons raced around 175-8. Now that I'm ss, core and upper body getting more strength.

Not really looking for a fat number. Like someone mentioned earlier, power to weight ratio is the bottom line number that counts.