Friday, December 08, 2006

Nutrition and Countin' Calories



OK. I'm gonna fess up and let you all know that I track just about everything I eat most days and have done this for a really long time. I do this because I want to make sure I am getting enough protein, calcium, etc. as well as monitor caloric intake. Monitoring can be a real pain, but several online sites have made it a lot easier. For losing weight, I think Spark People is the best, followed by My Food Diary. SparkPeople is free and has recipe management, along with providing menu suggestions, shopping lists, etc. along with a lot of support for reaching one's goals. It would be super easy to use if one followed the provided menus.

I'm kind of a cook tho and the most efficient site for someone who uses their own recipes is Calorie-Count, another free site. The drawback of this site, however, is that it doesn't generate shopping lists. My current set-up is a mix of using the nutrition tracking system in Training Peaks. The Training Peaks tracker not the handiest system, but when combined with a recipe, shopping list, menu planning site like Recipezaar, it works plenty good. All of the tracking sites provide an exercise management interface that takes your basal caloric needs + those expended during exercise and finds the difference between what you've consumed and what you've burned.

9 comments:

gravy said...

Is this a sneaky way of you saying I'm fat?

You and your healthy suggestions. :p

CC said...

I started using the Sparkpeople site a few weeks ago and I have to agree that it is a great tool to help you eat right (or at least tell you when you don't).
Thanks Syd for the tip!

Neve_r_est said...

Jeebus! That looks like quite the system. I need to start doing this to make sure I am getting enough intake, but i'm afraid I may starve trying to get all the info collected. I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for the insights.

DG

Anonymous said...

You're about 1000 times more advanced than me. That could have a lot to do with me only eating supper at home twice a week.

sydney_b said...

neve_r_est, what you find out when u start tracking is that you don't eat as many different things as you think u might. At first it's a pain, but w/in a month u will see patterns and you'll have built pretty much a routine list of items and it gets fast to enter.

One of the things I discovered was that I wasn't getting enough protein and calcium, so I focus on that more now.

Oh, and Bryan, if you eat out quite a bit, most restaurants, at least the chain types, have nutritional information available at the restaurant or online.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no -- I don't eat very often at all. I go to work at 4 p.m. every day, so my culinary choices are limited. I usually bring my own food, but there's only so much you can do.

Anonymous said...

Out. I don't eat out very often.

sydney_b said...

wow, bryan, that makes it tough. You gotta eat tho.

I am a 6-mealer. breakfast, 10am snack, lunch, 3pm snack, dinner, sometimes small snack later if dinner is late.

Small amounts more frequently works best for me because if I let myself get too hungry, I'm more inlined to binge a bit or make poor nutritional choices.

gravy said...

Big brother wants to help too.

http://mypyramidtracker.gov/