Monday, December 04, 2006

Missed podium by one

Link
Well, the first UCI experience was a good thanks to Barb loaning me her Badger again (THANK YOU). Although my pedals crammed with frozen mud and grass, and I couldn't get clipped in on the last lap after a railroad tie run up, I managed a fourth place finish (and no falls despite someone crashing right in front me). Catherine got third and a woman from Colorado road a scorching race and easily tromped us all for first. I know Catherine and I would both have done better if we could have solved the pedal problems as she suffered from clip-in issues as well. Who knows?

BUT, what's more important, is that next time it's mucky in spots but with below freezing wind chill, I'm going to make sure my cleats and pedals are freshly cleaned and coated with non-stick cooking spray. In fact, whenever there's mucky bits, I may utilize the spray. Troy, who won the men's 1/2/3s, said it worked great for him. I'm also going to see if I can figure out a way to have a second bike to ride a half lap while someone cleans up the main bike. A couple of guys had spare bikes all set to go and swapped 'em out as the mud froze on them and made them heavy.

All in all, it was a good time, got to see some cool friends and meet some wonderful new people. The final race for the Maxxis series is January, so that'll be last. I thought Saturday's race was the final one, but was mistaken. Today is a weight-lifting day, so I may be whining tomorrow. No, not really. The gal that won it rides for Maxxis and was so lean, strong and fast that it was inspiring. Gonna lift those weights and ride those miles so I can look and be like that next year. Make it a great day.

4 comments:

CC said...

Sounds like you had fun! And you did well. That mud is always your enemy out there. I have used chain lubricant before on my pedals and it worked, at least for warm mud...

gravy said...

What bike are you riding now?

sydney_b said...

The bike I rode yesterday was a Badger cross bike built by Rob Pennell down in Lawrence. It's a really nice bike and it's owner, Barb Wages, has been so generous to share it.

munsoned said...

Sydney, again you are truly amazing. 4th in a UCI race!?!? In the first half of a full season?!?! All I gotta say is keep on keepin on.

With regard to pedal issues, I've heard from a few peeps that Shimanos are the enemy of mud and that Crank Bros Egg Beaters or Candys are the way to go. I've not had first hand experience, but the design sure suggests good mud clearance.