Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Eating healthy with beer

Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but the good chicken breasts are dang pricey these days, especially this "SmartChicken" stuff I like. But thanks to my mom, I've found a way to keep it in the budget.

The other day my mom tells me to pick up a couple of chickens because she is going to make Beer Butt Chicken. I'm like, what? "Oh it's good, bring the chickens." So, I stop by the store and discover an entire chicken costs about the same as or even less than a package of two good sized chicken breasts. Who knew? Not this flunky. Anyway, it's super easy, tasty, and healthy since you're not frying or marinating in any oil.

Basically, rub your chicken down with seasoning, get a can of cheap beer, cut off the top, stick up the chicken's cavity, plug the neck hole with a wet paper towel, set it in a pan and bake it for an hour or so. I used that Montreal Grilled Chicken seasoning, a can of Miller High Life and some garlic, and an oven set at 375 degrees for about 80 minutes. I also baked a loaf of Lazy Irish Beer Bread at the same time. I did substitute wheat bran for about 1/4 c of the flour and added a tablespoon or so of rosemary to make the bread more flavorful. Turned out great with a side of baked sweet potatoes with ginger. You have any favorite cheap, easy, and HEALTHY recipes?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I do. Lots of them. But they're at home and I'm not. I'll dig 'em up sometime.

sydney_b said...

oh yeah, please do. I like to cook, but need to save time w/o sacrificing quality/health.

Anonymous said...

I grill most everything -- which is usually chicken or lean pork -- so that helps. I aim for veggies a lot, too. Bagged spinach is a huge vitamin source and easy to use in place of a lettuce salad, so we have that a lot.

I'll try to get you at least a few recipies tomorrow. They'll be yummy, quick and healthy.

Anonymous said...

First recipie: from Chris Carmichael's 'Food For Fitness.'

Penne pasta with tomatoes and white beans
ingredients:
8 oz penne pasta
2 14.5-oz cans italian-style diced tomatoes (don't drain them)
1 19-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 crumbled feta cheese (I got a tomato-basil flavored one)

directions
boil the penne

in a separate pan, combine tomatoes and beans in a large, non-stick skillet. bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

remove skillet from heat and add spinach to the sauce, letting the spinach wilt. stir constantly

serve sauce over pasta, sprinkle with feta

and that's it.
I like to add about a half-cup of regular spaghetti sauce to this to thicken it up a little bit. It helps to get tomatoes with basil flavoring in them, too. Putting in some grilled chicken bites helps pump it up as well.

sydney_b said...

How many servings? 4-6?

Anonymous said...

Oh, whoops. Four servings. If I add more, do you want them emailed or posted?

sydney_b said...

Either way works great. I've been putting my recipes into Recipezaar.com so I can not only track nutritional information, but also generate shopping lists, etc. I really like calorie-count.com, but it doesn't have the menu planning and shopping list features, which are way useful. I find I save $ and eat healthier when I do planning.

Anonymous said...

here's another

sweet and hot chicken
This was originally for wings, but I think it's better with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts, rinsed and dried
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs garlic salt
2 tbs hugarian paprika (spanish works, too)
1 tbs chili seasoning
1 tbs black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground mace

put all of the dry stuff together in a bowl and mix until well-blended. put a chicken breast in an coat each side evenly. let them sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so and then grill 'em up.

gwadzilla said...

do you have a deep fryer?

sydney_b said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sydney_b said...

nope, no deep fryer here. Those rare times I fry something I just put a little oil in the bottom of my pressure cooker. I think if I had a deep fryer .... my strength/weight ratio would worsen.