Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Basketball ....



So Kyle and I go to the basketball game Sunday afternoon and it was really a lot of fun. Kyle is a total bb nut and kept me up to date on whether they were playing man-to-man or zone as well as when I ought to be impressed by a particular play or not. He also demonstrated what sorts of noises one should make when opposing players were attempting free throws. Despite all the learning that took place, I still managed to have a good time and greatly admire the athletic grace of the players. They seem to float and just scoop the ball out of the air and all that. It was really much cooler in person that it looks on TV and it motivated me to play a little bb with Kyle and Erik tonight at the Y. Well.... there's a reason I was track and not basketball or volleyball or any sort of thing where objects come flying at one's head or must be thrown at something/one else. I stink. It takes most of my concentration to resist closing my eyes, covering my head with my arms, and awaiting impact. A certain peanut in the gallery who leads spin classes at the Y even had the audacity to say I "shoot like a girl." Really? Shocker. I would also like to go on the record with saying said peanut and Kyle are both fancy schmancy 3-point swooshing show-offs. Although, I have to say Kyle really did his best to teach me to shoot better, and I really did try to be a good student, and concentrate like he said, but my teleportation powers are weak and I was unable to get the ball to go through the net. Maybe next time the force will be stronger with me.

4 comments:

mM said...

"It takes most of my concentration to resist closing my eyes, covering my head with my arms, and awaiting impact."

Might explain those crashes this summer.

sydney_b said...

ha! very funny. It's only when people are throwing things at me that I want to do that. On the bike, it's eyes wide open so i get to watch and feel it happen in slow mo..... while my brain screams NOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

Anonymous said...

Strange ... you've ridden horses, bikes at 40 mph, bikes over logs, etc. ... but you're afraid of the ball?

sydney_b said...

well, it could hit your nose or jam your fingers. Those things hurt. Volleyballs are even worse when sent by vicious spikers.