Thursday, December 28, 2006

Allhell all the time

I'm feeling persecuted by my cell phone company - Alltel. I'm on the third day of trying to get my phone replaced. Day 1: I phone tech support about the problem. Tech support troubleshoots and tells me to go to my local shop. I do that. The local shop uses an hour of my time to tell me I need to call tech support to use the mail-in exchange program. I return home and phone tech support again. After navigating the menus and finally getting a live person I am told they can't do a mail-in exchange because they don't have my phone model any more. I will need to go to my local shop (56th & Cotner) and they will either exchange my phone for a similar model or send it in for service. Day 2: I go to the local shop and am told there's a 45 minute wait to speak with a representative but if I go to one of the branches in the mall, they can help me. I explain my problem and ask the guy if the small branch folks have the authority to do what I need done. He says they do. I ask him again just to verify this. He again confirms. Off to the mall to discover the "(non) service centers" are not actually part of Allhell and so don't warranty phones not sold by their specific small service center. He refers me back to the shop at 56th & Cotner. I am so mad by this time that all I can imagine is slamming my useless cell phone into his overly broad forehead, but the most I actually do is quietly tell him how much I hate his company and how useless his nonservice center is. He retorts that another customer was just in before me and "he loves Alltel. says it's the best company out there," and he's tried them all. I wonder if the cell providers colluded, agreeing to all treat customers like total crap. At 9am this morning, day three of this saga will commence. The good news is I am not alone in my unhappiness.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: All phone headquarters are located in the third layer underworld, right next to the insurance company, three doors down from Satan's office. Common knowledge.

DG

Anonymous said...

So many ways to contribute to this thread. How to begin?

WKRP's Phone Cops

Lily Tomlin's character Ernestine the telephone operator, who is known for the quote...

"We don't care.
We don't have to.
We're the phone company."

...or the more serious perspective, where one imagines that their bureaucracy exists to get you into a store where your picture can be taken and associated with your mobile device.

You are voluntarily paying through the nose for a covert listening device, after all.

Anonymous said...

people hate sprint

people hate cingular

people hate vonage

people hate skype

Anonymous said...

I found it best to remove Allsmell from the cell phone not working loop. Put this mornings episode behind you and get over to best buy cellular at 40th and normal, you will like it there, he has bikes in there too. I thought my phone was dead forever and he fixed it. It was not expensive and it works like new now, with no thanks at all to Allsmell.

Anonymous said...

it felt so good when I dropped my landline.

We can keep the number alive for a year if you want. naw I will never use you guys for anything ever again. toodles.

sydney_b said...

What all does he do there? Sell phones? Or just fix them?

Anonymous said...

he does sell them, also he has refurbs sometimes, I had a bad mic in mine, but when steve took it in he thought it was the speaker so I ended up with a new speaker and a new mic, so it ended up costing me about 40 bucks but it was only going to cost me 20. I thought it was fair and a good price. And I do not even have to say it, but of course, allsmell was not going to help, and my contract is not up until march.

Anonymous said...

Don't switch to Sprint. I'm counting the days (4) until my contract is up with them.

Anonymous said...

Unreal.

Anonymous said...

Yea I am not sure I will switch I think they are all terrible, and when I was on the tour de nebraska last year I did have coverage everwhere, well mostly, more than if I had not had allsmell. But I was glad to find out about the best buy cellular guy, he is really great.

Anonymous said...

Skype!

carp said...

I have a friend that got hurt in 2004 and recieved a large bill from the hospital in Lincoln. They have "programs" for people that don't make much money (ie students). Syd, I don't know if your a student or not, I'm just assuming you are. If you are and you have limited income, you may be able to talk with the billing department of Bryan LGH and see what they have to say about a "program" like what I've mentioned above. As I remember it, his bill to the physicians was still payable by him, but his hospital bill for the visit and for the imaging was basically zeroed. Not trying to get your hopes up or anything but it may be worth a phone call. Then you can at least get some new DuraAce cranks instead of a whole gruppo.

Anonymous said...

I have been so ripped off since they bought my cellone service. the price went up, the service decreased. Every time i talked with any one from Alhell i got a different answer. i finally sent a note to corporate and after 8 months finally just cancelled my service when the contract was up. i plan to do the same with my second (teenager) service. I was told no increased fees once again and then "some one" gave me the highest service rate they could. yep, wonder who trains these folks.....maybe new company motto 'smoke em if ya got em'.
too many other services out there to put up with this bullsh**.
thanks for letting me rant!