Sunday, December 17, 2006

Ah... new running shoes

Missed my ride today so decided to give my new running shoes their debut, and all I can say is that I love to run. Sometimes I forget, or am injured, or whatever, but nothing, not even my much loved two-wheeled conveyances, can replace the steady rhythm of the feet, the breathing and the sheer simplicity of going for a run.

I remember learning to run. I don't mean as a toddler, but the first time I focused on my form to be faster. It was in kindergarten. I went to a one-room schoolhouse near Norfolk and an older kid, Jeff, said to me during lunch recess, "Sydney, you run pretty good, let me show you how to run faster." And he did. He showed me how to use my arms better and after that I worked on it. I even remember a time I got out of the car and asked my mom to drive beside me and see how fast I went with the speedometer. She said 10 miles per hour and I was quite satisfied, but she might have been making me feel good. No matter. It was enough to keep me running and it sort of foreshadowed a time in high school when I didn't feel like running because it was cold and dark out, and I asked her to drop me off in the dark out on a country road so I'd be forced to run 'cuz I had to get home. She did and I did. How many moms would do that? My friend Jeff and I also used to jog on the way home. He would tell me how to breath and on my last day before we moved to Battlecreek, NE, he told the second-grade me to keep running and that I was "as fast as anyone - don't let those city-kids scare you." Thanks for your encouragement and advice Jeff. I hope life has treated you well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a good mom. You are lucky :)

CC said...

It is true. Once you put your running shoes on (maybe grab your IPod) and go out there, it feels very liberating. It's almost as if the oxygen clears out my brain. I can think better and more clearly. And there is definitely something about that "runner's high":)
As soon as my knee gets a bit more back to normal, I will follow in your tracks....

mike s said...

right on baby, Merry Christmas Sydney

Anonymous said...

I had my wife pick me up 20 miles down the road one time. It wasn't cold and dark, but I had a pretty sweet tailwind.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you mixin' it up.

I'm planning on doing the Lincoln half marathon in May. After CVO broke his leg, I realize I need to do some weight bearing exercise to increase bone density. Too much ridin' makes for weak bones.

monkeygirl said...

you know I go into riding when I acheived a stress fracture training for a half marathon, it took forever to heal.

Byekin said...

Sydney, if you are interested in getting in on some local running races check out the Lincoln Track Club's website.

KimC said...

New shoes always make me excited to go out and run. I like running for how quick/convenient it is, but running has caused some ailments. It is good to cross train, but I sure like cycling alot more!

sydney_b said...

Chris, I am lucky. She also makes killer banana cookies. mmmmm. Can slay a diet no matter who u are.

mike s, :)

cornbread, very true.

byekin, not a chance. As much as I like to run, every time I see cross-country runners at their sport I get this incredible feeling of relief that that's not me ever again (I think). Running is the one thing that I do just for fun these days, unless of course it's during a cross race. ;)