Monday, October 23, 2006

Proper warm-ups

Nebraska Cyclocross SeriesThe importance of a proper warm-up cannot be overstated. Yesterday, thx to a flat tire, I arrived at the race with just enough time to enter, change and ride to the starting line. The first two laps were awful. Legs felt like they were filled with sand and I couldn't ge enough air. By the fourth lap I was starting to feel better, but by then there wasn't much left of the race. I did manage to catch a couple of the guys in front of me, but I wasn't up to racing the way I'd planned. Warm-ups are critical! Oh, and putting cold muscles to hard work in frigid temps will leave you feeling sore sore sore the next day. (Photo from TrueSport.com article)

11 comments:

Sean Weide said...

Nice picture on truesport.com.

sydney_b said...

Hey thx, Sean!

Sean Weide said...

It was actually borrowed from MOD's site.

CC said...

I am glad you made it to the race!

CC said...

I gotta try this cross stuff...When is the next race?

sydney_b said...

u should. The next in the nebraska series is Nov. 18 & 19 at Pioneers Park here in Lincoln. Love to treat u to some fun down here. :D

If u want to do something sooner than that, seems like there's something going on in KS most every weekend.

mtb05girl said...

I know how you feel. I usually don't do much of a warm-up and can feel it in the first few minutes of the race. BTW...I deleted my old blog on accident. This is my new link. Have a good week of riding!

sydney_b said...

Where? What link??? It didn't post. :)

mtb05girl said...

oh opps...it's http://mtb05girl.blogspot.com

cominatcha said...

Proper warm ups are crucial to get the cardiovascular and muscular systems going properly.

Warm up 45 minutes before your start.
Do 3x1 min spins 110rpm with 1 min rest between easy spinning. Warms up the cardio and muscles.

1x5min at Lactate threshold
Rest 3-5min

3x1min all out efforts with 5min rest to get your anaerobic system going.

Cool down 10 and show up to the line 5 min before the start.

During the warm up it's good to also take small sips of water so that when you do start that water will help in hydrating you during the race.

gravy said...

I like to sit around and watch the Sci-fi channel.

That's how I get the work out.