Monday, October 30, 2006

Boulevard Cup a winner all around

No podium, but there was a stone wall. From left to right: Michelle Jensen, Me, and Jennifer Herrell
No podium, but there was a stone wall. From left to right: Michelle Jensen, Me, and Jennifer Herrell
Twas a hot sunny day and a fast course. There was no sand, 3 dismounts for barriers, mostly grass and a little mud on the two-mile course. I took the Monkey because in Lawrence the race promoter had said that I would either want to gear down the Waterford or bring something with a derailleur, but the course was pretty darn flat I, and I think the Waterford would have flown, but my thighs would have been a bit sore today. As it turned out, the Monkey rode a little better than fine (Thanks to EP's [MWC] efforts and a shorter stem]) and we won the women's open by a pretty good margin. I do need to make my mounts smoother though, so will be working on that this week.

The highlight of the trip was watching Catherine Walberg race the cat 3/4 men and getting to meet her aftwards. She's a 1 and amazingly fast and smooth. As it turns out, she used to ride hunter/jumper horses before opting for a bike saddle, and we talked about the similarities between bikes and equines in terms of movement/balance/etc. We also both agreed that many folks underestimate how good a shape you gotta be in to ride those ponies well.

I also got lucky and won a raffle - probably only the second in a lifetime. Two silver mavic 220 rims. Actually, how it played out was that when they called the number, two of us had it. So the guy walks up there and gets a 6 of Boulevard (I think) or a cap or something, and I show that I have the same number and ask for set a rims. They gave 'em to me. It was great because I don't have any wheels for the pit and now I've got some rims to build up a set.

I'd also like to thank the folks that put the Cup on. It was really well done with a fun course, great food and wonderful company. Racing down there is tons of fun and if haven't been making the trip, you should start. :D

6 comments:

KimC said...

Sydney-congrats on the race and raffle win! Which type of racing strikes your fancy the most?

nicol said...

i second kim...great job! my cow bells are ready and waiting for another race.

bennetbeauty said...

Wow!!! What a great picture and what a great win! Congratulations!!! Am looking forward to watching the races at Pioneers Park. Thanks for keeping your blog up to date!! A handy way to keep up with you!!

sydney_b said...

Kim, it's hard to say. I think it's a draw right now between the road crits and 'cross. Altho, I think it's conceivable that 'cross could win out. I like the obstacles, the changing terrain, and especially the cow bells. :D

mtb05girl said...

Awesome job!!

I'm riding a Redline Conquest..I got it a month or so ago.

Jason said...

Congratulations Sydney. If I can win as many races in my life as you've won since I met you, I will be happy. How many races have you not won? I bet that shorter stem on the Monkey made you happy, you look really stretched in that pic...