Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Waterford gets dirty

07-18-06_1822.jpg
07-18-06_1822.jpg,
originally uploaded by sydney_b.
Woo hoo! Cyclocross here i come.

So... I want to go ride with some folks who do mtn bikes on Tuesdays. Unfortunately, I don't have one of my own yet, so ep at MWC put on the freewheel cog and flipped the rear wheel round on the Waterford. When folks showed up at the meeting spot and saw my bike gleaming in the setting sun, I was asked, "You got the email, didn't you?" "Yes." "It's mountain bikes in Wilderness." "Yes, but I don't have one, so I'm riding this." Doubtful looks ensued but they let me tag along anyway. To confess, I was a little worried too. Although the continental tire co. promised my 32mm tires were tough, they meant on pavement. I was headed for dirt, pokey sticks, and possible thorns -- all without having the necessary tools to remove my rear wheel should I get a flat. Oh well, off we went. It all turned out fine. The waterford hummed along the paths and while I would not recommend skinny slick tires and a 5.3 gear ratio, it all worked out fine. I didn't get dropped and I made some new friends .... and ... if cyclocross is anywhere near as fun as trying to get a road bike through the park at a decent clip .... I'm gonna have a great time this fall, or winter, or whenever they do this cyclocross thing. :)

8 comments:

mg said...

you were flying tonight syd. i was stoked to see your smiling face right behind me the entire time we rode together.

hope to ride with you again soon!
mg

MOD said...

Sweet, you can ride just about anything in Wilderness.

Back in the day(that means before mountain bikes and before cyclocross bikes were readily available in the states) we used to ride our road bikes with sewup tires through wilderness. You can only ride to Denton and through the alps so many times.

Not to mention that I was 14 and indestructable.

'cross is comin' soon, I can't wait.

sda said...

cyclocross!!! cyclocross!!! cyclocross!!!

mg said...

i used to see jay thomas on his trek madone 5.9 riding through the park on a regular basis. i think he's been pretty busy lately, so the frequency has dropped off, but clearly a mountain bike is a luxury, not a necessity in wilderness...

i love cyclocross!

3p0 said...

That was sweet seeing you in the park last night.

you were flying...

I can't wait for cyclocross either...

I love cyclocross....

I love watchin it from my chair with a bottle of merlot, and a couple cans of beer....

3p0 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sydney_b said...

It was really fun. I have to put an end to that grinnin' tho. Too much dust.

:D

mg said...

yeah, i was filthy when i got home last night, and can feel the dust in my lungs today...

i guess we need rain.