Wednesday, June 21, 2006

For what it's worth ...


If your bike starts squirmin' on you, don't look down. Trust your tires, fix your eyes on where you want to go, and ride like hell for that point. I didn't take my own advice the other night and spilled. Of course, I also forgot to roll, but instead landed fully on a locked left arm, nearly driving my shoulder out my back. Fortunately, it wasn't caught on anyone's digital, but I thought I'd go ahead and tell anyway just in case the reminder might keep someone else from doing the same dumb trick.

6 comments:

3p0 said...

always roll,

good to see you tuesday night,

hope to see you again

sydney_b said...

I shall endeavor to do so. There's just not much time between leaving the bike and the hitting the ground. At least with horses, one gets a little more air. :)

podunk said...

ouch. Good thing you had a shoulder that could take it. I'd probably have to get airlifted out.

sda said...

both times i've broken clavicles it was instant impact, hands still on the bars, looking up through my frame at the sky. ouch.

Cornbread said...

Bummer. It's an inevitable occurrence for a cyclist. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

My advice is to always keep your hands up. Road rash on your hands suck.

sydney_b said...

Good advice cornbread. For that very reason I rarely am found cycling w/o gloves.